ONE&ONLY recently announced their exciting news of their latest opening, One&Only Mandarina in Mexico. The ultra luxurious resort will allow guests to enjoy Mexico’s calm undeveloped Western coastline whilst indulging in the authentic, punchy flavours of Mexico.
The resort’s restaurant Carao, which is fronted by Chef Olvera, offers a laid back dining experience that boasts regional flavours with a fine dining flare through dishes such as Scallop in the Shell with broccolini tostadas, Wild Sweet Potato with chile de agua and guacachile, and Mushrooms Birria. To accompany the menu, they also have an extensive collection of local beers and wines along with fine spirits such as Mezcal and Tequila.
To celebrate the recent launch of One&Only Mandarina, we present to you Chef Enrique Olvera’s recipe for his Buñuelos, passion fruit, cinnamon, which is served at Carao, One&Only Mandarina.
Buñuelos, passion fruit, cinnamon
Speaking about the dish, he said, “Winter in Mexico City can be cold but always sunny, buñuelos make me think of that time of the year; on weekends the public squares are full of families sharing sweets while holding hot chocolate or ponche in their hands. We cannot gather together as before but it is important to me to remember that feeling of community. For Carao at One&Only Mandarina, we created a different version of the classic, it is made with puff pastry and goes with a passion fruit cream – inspired by our paradisiac location. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.” Here’s what you’ll need.
Buñuelos puff pastry
250 g flour
125 ml of water
180 g unsalted butter
Passion fruit cream
150 g of passion fruit pulp
50g brown sugar
250 g of whipping cream
3 gelatin sheets
300 g of whipped cream
For the Buñuelos puff pastry
- Mix the flour, water and salt until you get a homogeneous dough, let it rest for two hours.
- Roll out the butter and fill in a similar way to a puff pastry.
- Make two single rounds and one double. Taking care to have a cooling space between each turn.
- Once you have the dough, stretch perfectly, leaving the dough 1.5 mm thick. And cut 1cm wide slats.
- Roll up the slats and freeze.
- Once well frozen, fry at 190ºC.
- Go through the puff pastry with absorbent paper and add sugar and cinnamon.
Passion fruit cream
- Mix the passion fruit with the cream, sweeten and dissolve the previously hydrated gelatin sheets
- Leave in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, break the gelatin and add the whipped cream
- Mix until you have a well aerated mousse and place in the sleeve.
- Place the churros on a plate with absorbent paper. Arrange the mousse in a bowl, grate 50g of peeled almond on top and serve
by Katrina Mirpuri